Walk and Karen Culture
1 Day Private excursion
Karen people are believed to have migrated from Tibet and China and settled mainly in the hills bordering the eastern mountainous region of Burma about two thousand years ago. They are considered the biggest ethnic minority group in Thailand, among the 70 other groups, with an approximate population of one million.
Many Karen fled to Thailand to escape the ongoing war since 1949. The traditional faith of the Karen people is animism, which involves a strong belief in the spirit world. Today, the Karen community comprises animists, Buddhists, and approximately 30% Christians. Religion is central to many aspects of their identity and cultural values.
What will you experience during your trekking
- Karen tour guide
- Walk to the river and waterfall
- Learn about the fauna and the flora
- Discovery of the Karen culture
- Bamboo Rafting
- Unforgettable, authentic experience
- Start around 9:30 a.m. from Chiang Mai Elephant Friends and reach the Karen village by four-wheel drive.
- Easy walk from the village
- Picnic by the river
- Visit the Karen village and discover their daily lifestyle, traditions and culture.
- Go back to the resort by car and stop on the way to finish by bamboo rafting, a great way to end your adventure in lush nature on a shallow river.
- Finish around 16:00
- An English-speaking Karen guide
- Transportation to and from Chiang Mai Elephant Friends
- Thai food (vegetarian option available upon request).
- Bamboo Rafting
- Accident insurance
- Personal expenses like extra beverages, tips
What to Bring
- A small backpack
- Hiking or sports shoes
- Flip-flops or sandals
- A bathing suit and towel
- Hat and sunglasses
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Money for small purchases such as drinks and hill tribe craft
- A light raincoat during the rainy season (June to September)
- Private tour for at least 2 adults
- Timing is approximate and depends on the weather and the pace of the group members.
- This tour is for people in good physical condition.
From and to Chiang Mai Elephant Friends:
2,550 Baht/person if 2 or 3 guests | 2,400 Baht/person if 4 guests | 2,200 Baht/person if 5 guests | 2,000 Baht/person if 6 guests or more
For children under 12 years old, 1,600 Baht